Promotion Archives - Plurabelle Studio | Calligraphy & Graphic Design
I have been invited to teach an online calligraphy class at Skillshare.com — Digitizing Calligraphy: Designing A Flourished, Calligraphic Logotype from Sketch to Vector.
Don’t be intimidated — while having at least a basic knowledge of pointed pen calligraphy is a plus, it is not required. I will also cover techniques for created a polished design using felt tip pen.
Sign up by December 15th with this link or by clicking the button below and you can receive 25% by entering the coupon code FLOURISH at checkout.
- Sketching. We’ll start with sketching, covering the basic rules of drawing script letters, and examining opportunities to add flourishes. You will learn to recognize the difference between purposeful flourishes — those that enhance a design — and extraneous ones — those that distract and impede legibility.
- Adding Flourishes. With a polished sketch in hand, you will then calligraph the design (with a pointed calligraphy pen or a fine tip felt pen) with emphasis on learning special techniques for calligraphing flourishes.
- Digitizing. Then the computer fun starts! We will bring our design into the computer and polish it further in Photoshop, then vectorize it in Illustrator.* I’ll teach you some special techniques for making sure your final logotype retains the integrity of the stroke contrast, including the charming imperfections of the fine hairlines, that it had as ink on paper.
*You do not have to be an expert in either of these programs. If you do, great, but I will cover absolutely everything you need to know. You don’t even need to have the programs when you sign up. You can download free 30-day trials of both from adobe.com.
I will be having a book signing and launch party for my new book, Modern Calligraphy, on Thursday, September 26th at Urbanic Paper Boutique. If you’re in Los Angeles, I want you there! We’ll have cupcakes from Frosted Cupcakery, coffee from Alfred Coffee & Kitchen, wine and plenty of other treats to munch on.
>> Come for the whole time or just drop in.
>> Pick up a copy of my book.
>> Mingle with other awesome people.
>> Shop Urbanic’s amazing stationery.
>> Eat cupcakes under the stars (that should be reason enough for you to come).
>> RSVP to Urbanic by September 24th (please).
Many of you have already discovered that I’m coming out with a how-to guide to modern, script calligraphy. I’ve posted teasers for it here and there, and it’s made appearances in a few places around the blogosphere, but here is the official announcement! It’s been 2 years in the making, since the day I signed on with my amazing literary agent until today, a month before it hits the shelves. (I’ve had to keep my lips sealed about it until this month!) Advance copies are out to magazines, bloggers and retailers, boxes of it are being flown to stores around the country, and here I sit, brimming with emotions ranging from immense gratitude to all who had a hand in this endeavor, to nail-biting nervousness about how the world will react to my labor of love. (And that doesn’t even touch on how I felt when I got to hold a printed copy in my hands for the first time.)
What you’ll find within the 192 pages of Modern Calligraphy:
- Complete beginner instructions from buying supplies to holding the pen to learning to write
- Special instructions for lefties
- 14 pages of lettering specimens in modern script styles
- Guidance on how to create your own unique calligraphy style
- Intermediate techniques like how to write with paint and digitize your lettering
- 20 unique DIY projects for stationery, weddings, and home
- Over 260 full-color photographs and illustrations
Don’t take it from me. Here’s what others are already saying:
“Molly’s book will not disappoint if you are a lettering enthusiast and have questions that you feel still need answering (for the modern calligrapher there is a huge need for a resource like this). At nearly 200 pages she has covered everything from getting started, utilizing different mediums (such as watercolor) to create stunning effects, to an extensive DIY section. Molly also divulges many of her resources (that alone should be well worth the price invested). As a novice to modern calligraphy I am always on the hunt for specimens to reference so I can build on them and hopefully one day create my own distinct style(s). Molly generously has created 14 pages of gorgeous specimens, multiple variations on each letter and in turn unlimited inspiration to try this yourself. I am thrilled that this book exists and it will be my go-to referral for anyone that contacts me and asks, ‘help!, where do I start?’” — Miss Tristan B. of Bestotted Brand*
*Among the recent features of Modern Calligraphy have been two write-ups by Miss Tristan B. on Besotted Blog. One is a review of my book and the other an interview with me where I share how I got started, my favorite supplies, and where I seek inspiration.
“I’m fortunate in that I work for a book distribution company specializing in art & craft titles so I receive advance sample copies of new books. I fell in love with Molly’s book a few weeks ago. Molly’s book reimported me to follow my love of calligraphy. I have since invested in pen nibs, ink and paper (which I’ve always swooned over!) and I’m practicing everyday. I also draw and paint so I am inspired to incorporate all of these skills to create stationery products and wedding invitations.” — Kathy Glynn
Pre-Order Modern Calligraphy
If you want Modern Calligraphy on your doorstep on the very day of its release, September 24th, you can pre-order it from these online retailers:
Crafting your own love notes this Valentine’s Day? Want to sign them with “love” and seal them with a custom return address stamp? Well you’re in luck because Plurabelle’s Etsy shop is having a sale! In honor of Valentine’s Day, all items in our store are 10% off from now through February 14th. Just enter the coupon code VDAY13 at check-out.
Please note the following order deadlines for stamp arrival by February 14th (within the U.S. only):
Custom stamps (like the return address stamp): Place your order by January 28th.
Non-custom stamps (like the “love” and “i love you” stamps): Place your order by February 4th.